Monday, March 17, 2014

Your Greatest Test


         Today I saw a new photo on Facebook that made me think. This is the photo:


         I love this image because this is the base of a light house that is being buried by a wave of water. Many times in my journey I have felt like the person standing in the doorway of the lighthouse watching the waves crash against my place of refuge. The imagery of drowning has often found its way into my writing as I have sought relief from my trials, drowning in pain, drowning in grief, drowning in fear, etc. Looking at this image though it is apparent that though the base of our lighthouse may be flooded we still have the light at the top that guides those around us.
       The savior often used light in his parables. For example in Matthew 5:14 he says "Ye are the alight of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid." He also said "Let your alight so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matt 5:16). Even when we feel buried by the trial we can be the light that helps another see the light of Christ in their lives. (3 Nephi 18:24)
       Part of why this affected me so strongly today is that just last night I was struggling to overcome intense feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness. When I was talking to a friend about my feelings and how hard life seemed to be we were asked to give a blessing. Even though I felt like I was going to fall apart at any moment I was blessed to help shine light into the life of one of my spiritual sisters. In the end my load was lightened by the opportunity to serve.
       You might be asking what on earth this has to do with SGA and the LDS Church. It is that when we look outside of ourselves to those around us in need the Lord can bless us with the understanding and knowledge we need as we serve our brothers and sisters.
       Please don't let the waves drag you down and away from your light. Rather climb the stairs off your light house and stoke your fire. Let your light shine out across the water to help those who are also struggling to stay afloat. With this in mind please listen to the following song which I feel exemplifies this concept. If you have not seen the movie Pete's Dragon, this is being sung by a woman who lost her fiancee at sea. Her greatest trial was waiting for him to return, never knowing if he would. Listen to her words and see how she let her light shine even when she was struggling in her own life.


No comments:

Post a Comment