Saturday, March 15, 2014

Today is a new Day, Let Go of the Past

             This is my first post and as such may be a little rough. In my introduction I mentioned I'll be talking about Same Gender Attraction (SGA)and my beliefs as a Latter-day Saint. You may ask why is this kid qualified to talk about such a controversial topic. What could this 20 something year old know that I don't? Well let me tell you why.
             I have struggled with Same Gender Attraction (sometimes referred to as Same Sex Attraction) for many years. As a young man I hid my attraction from everyone I knew, including my family. I suffered in fear because of the wildly opposing views of SGA in the world and church. Recently (about a year ago), I mustered up the courage to face this fear and talk to my parents and also my Bishop about my attractions. I am qualified because I live everyday in the trenches, striving to live up to my expectations of what it means to be a Saint, a Follower of Christ in all ways, through all trials and all experiences.
           This last year I have spent many hours pouring over secular studies and religious texts searching for my place in Heavenly Father's plan. I learned that no matter what anyone else tells me I am a son of God. He is the literal father of my soul. His son Jesus Christ is my Savior, Redeemer, Brother and most of all Friend. I know that I will anger people with some of what I write because "the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center" (1 Nephi 16:2). I needed to change my world view and my self perception to reach where I am now. My desire is to help inspire and uplift those who like me struggle with SGA, and also the friends and family of those who struggle.
       

          That being said, Today is a new Day, Let Go of the Past. The past is what has already happened, you cannot change it. So let it go. It has nothing new to say. Learn what you can and then move on. It hurts to let go but it is better in the long run. One of the most important things in learning to live with SGA is to let go of past fears, past preconceptions, past sins and most importantly past self hate and past self-loathing.
           In my experience those who struggle with Same Gender Attraction and were raised in a strong religious background unintentionally picked up the message that SGA is evil and therefor so are you. This is a lie! One of the biggest lies we have ever been told is that we are evil. We are Children of God. We are children of the Father of Lights. We make mistakes. We fall down. We hurt. We struggle. We suffer. But we are not beings of darkness, rather we are beings of Light! God doesn't care how many times we fall down. He cares how many times we pick ourselves back up.
         Let today be a new day, a day of hope, a day of joy. Let today be the day that you say goodbye to fear. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done to tell my parents about my SGA but since I have I am stronger for it. I learned that if someone loves you, they don't care about the struggles you experience. They don't love you for what you have or haven't done. They don't love you for what you can do for them. They don't even love you for what image you present to the world. They love you for you. For your strengths and weaknesses. For all that makes you you!
       When the past calls: Don't Answer!





No comments:

Post a Comment